Thursday, February 17, 2011

Gav's birth story

*Warning long story*
It all started on the night of Feb 2nd I got a headache that would not go away I thought it was just because I hadn't really had a real meal that day since breakfast (I had NO appetite at all) well that night Carl and I went to the high school and walked around the halls and up and down the stairs to see if my contractions (that had been around for two weeks) would get any stronger. We came home after walking and went to bed not thinking anything of this headache...well I woke up Wednesday the 3rd and got ready for work...showered started doing my hair and all of a sudden I got pretty dizzy and saw stars in my eyes....well our Dr had warned me about preeclampsia and during this whole pregnancy had me taking my blood pressure's at home and I would report to her at our appointments well my BP had never been a huge concern so I just kind of blew it off and I got out of the shower too fast or I was too hot doing my hair. Well I went to work and ignored the headache that was pounding in my head...Carl kept checking up on me while I was at work and when it was noon and I was off work he made me call the Dr just to make sure. I called the Dr and we had an appointment the next day so the nurse told me to come in today just to make sure. I called Carl told him to come home and that we had a Dr appointment at 1:30 so he came home and off we went to the appointment. We got to the office and did the routine...vitals, urine sample, blah blah well my BP was a little higher than normal and I had made progress so our Dr sent us down to labor and delivery to be monitored and sent us on our way! Carl and I both looked at each other in shock...Carl looked at me and said so what does that mean? I told him I wasn't sure and that we were most likely going home in an hour. Well I was wrong...we got to L&D thinking they would just put us in a triage room well I was wrong again they sent us into a labor room and the nurse put my band on and gave me a gown and told me to get comfortable....well me still being in denial about this whole thing told Carl it was just because they didn't have a triage room open or it was because Dr Ponder called so they put us in a room this is me in denial...well we got settled in and hooked up to the monitors...my BP was being taken every ten min. After we were monitored for an hour and my BP's staying higher than normal I had one that was 156/96...the next one was 176/102 so my Dr came in and told us that I officially had preeclampsia and that my BP was starting to scare her and that we needed to get me hooked up to Magnesium and after that she was going to start Pitocin and break my water. Well this was not in my plans I had planned to go natural...I had planned to do Hypnobirthing and this was just not part of my plan I was pissed, scared, and confused all at the same time! I was so upset that my labor wouldn't be natural I wasn't going to go into labor on my own and I had to have Pitocin this was the last thing I wanted to happen! When Dr Ponder came back in to break my water and give me the Pitocin around 5:00. We started talking about the Hypnobirthing and she explained that it was still possible and that we could still try and if it got too hard she would send in the anesthesiologist and I would get an epidural. So she broke my water and we started Pitocin, called my mom and told her to call my dad and head to the hospital but there was no rush. I labored through the contractions for about two hours until I couldn't take it anymore and asked for an epidural. My labor wasn't progressing very fast so at about 11:30 we sent my parents home and told them we would call once it was time to push. Well at about 3:00 the morning or the 4th I was a 9 and completely thinned and ready to start pushing so Carl called my mom to let her know she should head to the hospital...well after pushing for an hour my contractions decided to just stop so they increased the Pitocin and we waited...nothing so they increased it again and we waited...I slept...and nothing...so they increased it again and well I could feel the contractions but they weren't being picked up on the monitor so I had to tell the nurse when I was going to push...after 3 hours of pushing in came Dr Ponder who called in before her shift to see if I was still in labor and I was so she came in early so that she could be there to deliver the baby. Once my Dr was there with us she really motivated me to push and within half an hour the baby was here!! So after about 15 and a half hours of being in labor our little guy made his arrival on February 4, 2011 the same Birhtday and his uncle Josh!! It wasn't exactly how I wanted it to happen but it was completely worth it!! This little guy has changed our lives for the best and I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world! Being a mom is definitely the most amazing thing I have done this far!

2 comments:

  1. It never goes like you want it too but I am so glad he is here and you guys are happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite the experience! I'm glad everything went alright! He is so so so adorable McKell, I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete